“I’m suing SAG/AFTRA Healthplan. It’s time we are treated fairly,” Hilary Swank said in a statement obtained by PEOPLE
Hilary Swank is suing the SAG-AFTRA’s “antiquated, barbaric” health plan after being denied coverage for the treatment of malignant ovarian cysts.
The Oscar-winning actress, 46, filed a lawsuit on Tuesday against the board of trustees of the SAG-AFTRA health plan in which she said she had been denied coverage for the treatment of ovarian cysts, in court documents obtained by PEOPLE.
The actress claims the trustees “stopped allowing Swank’s claims for treatment of ovarian cysts” in 2015, according to the court documents. Swank was diagnosed with ovarian cysts in 2008, around the time her “left ovary was destroyed and removed during emergency surgery.”
The SAG-AFTRA Health Plan could not immediately be reached for comment.
In a statement obtained by PEOPLE, the actress said she was “truly exhausted by the way women’s ovarian and cyclical health issues continue to be treated by healthcare insurance companies.”
“I have experienced it in my own life, and I continually read about it across social media and in the press,” Swank said. “Their policies are antiquated, barbaric and primarily view the role of women’s organs solely as a means for procreation.”