A British father is suffering from blindness and paralysis in a hospital in India after being bitten by a snake while battling coronavirus, his family have said.
Ian Jones is in intensive care after being bitten by a black king cobra in a village in the north west of the country.
The former healthcare worker, who lives on the Isle of Wight with his family, had been in India for months where he runs Sabirian, a charity-backed social enterprise aimed at helping people trade their way out of poverty.
His family have told of their shock at what had happened in Jodhpur, Rajasthan but described Mr Jones as a “fighter”, saying they hope the blindness and paralysis are temporary.
Mr Jones’s son Seb said his father had already experienced malaria, dengue fever and Covid-19 but had “remained resolute in his determination to stay in the country and continue his work to help the people that needed his support”.